Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Crew

Eighteen years ago I rowed with the Bowdoin College Crew Team for two years. I have never been in better shape. By May of 1988, I could run seven miles, then turn around and run five miles the next day, or work a rowing machine flat out for an hour, or run up and down a 13-story building without stopping.
The reason I was able to get in such good shape is because I was a member of a team. I knew that if I didn't show up for practice, that it would be noticed. So I never missed practice or the regattas. On my own, the idea of daily exercise might be something I would think of doing, but it always fell to the bottom of the list, an endless list, of Things To Do. At least until I joined the crew team.
I think it is generally easier to get something done that someone else expects you to do. If asked to do something and you say yes, then there is more pressure than there would be if you get a notion and think, "Oh, I should do that.."
In a way, a blog, even though it's self-generated, exerts a subtle pressure on its author to add, to update, to stay at least close to current. We've all seen websites that say, "Look for new products in January,2001!" three years later, websites covered with faint electronic cobwebs and protonic dust. It's fine to have a static website, but it has to be written as such, so that it's not out of date for months or years.
So even if it's just a short comment on the unusual weather, the passing of the school year, a holiday observation or a longer rumination, the site requires frequent, if not constant, attending to. Perhaps using the writing portion of the brain on a regular basis, just as exercising on schedule will improve muscular fitness, will improve the tone of one's brain. There is at least that hope....

2 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Hello, this is your superego speaking. Don't you think you should post more often? And what about photographs? People like photographs. You wouldn't want to disappoint anyone now, would you?

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger LC said...

I am a coxswain for Bowdoin Crew. Thank you for helping maintain a legacy that will never die as long as the Polar Bear is our mascot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home